GRAND CANYON, Ariz. - A fire broke out in the shed of Grand Canyon Schools Superintendent Sharyl Allen's residence on Nov. 27 at 2:39 p.m. The source of the fire is still under investigation, but Grand Canyon National Park's Fire Chief Dave Van Inwagen said faulty wiring may have been the cause. No one was injured.
Van Inwagen said at the time the fire started, he was conducting a training class and saw the black smoke come from a nearby residence.
"I got in my car and drove down there while calling dispatch," he said. "When I rolled up on scene, the 8 by 16 foot shed was on fire and there was a couple explosions, which were from small camping propane tanks."
The fire burned through the floor of the shed, spread to the outside and progressed to the house, just 3 feet from the shed. The flames also spread to the back of the house, and penetrated into the garage, dining room and attic.
"We stopped it from coming down into the house itself," Van Inwagen said.
Van Inwagen went on to say that around the holidays, it's important to be careful with extension cords and wiring while assembling Christmas lights.
"When you put wiring in your house, it should be up to code or standard," he said. "There was no overload that we know of in this case, but people need to take care to not overload their circuits."